Monday, April 13, 2009

What is God-Consciousness?

Some people are afraid of the word “consciousness” since it was first made popular in America through the Eastern religions. But its meaning and application are very much a part of the teachings of Jesus.

Consciousness is a present state of being aware that you are aware of the world around you and the world within you.

Please understand not everyone is on the same level of consciousness. There are many levels. They range from earthly basic survival levels on up-ward to divine levels of awareness.

For example at the level of “Fear” one sees the world around them as unfriendly, not safe and full of danger. On a much higher level, “Love” is a forgiving, nurturing and supportive way of relating to the world.

I will go into the details of the all the levels in another posting. Right now it is important to understand what consciousness is.

In my last post I explained why Jesus did not use the word “consciousness” or “awareness.” But he did speak of it in very simple words like “knowing” which in the Greek means to “know intuitively,” in spirit not just in your mind.

“You worship and you do not know what you worship…true worshippers worship God in spirit and in truth.” John 4:22-24

Many so-called Christians go to a church and know about God but to know God is to become God-conscious. It is an intuitive connection between your spirit and the Spirit of God. It is a knowing beyond the intellect of your mind. An act of faith. An on-going spiritual experience.

When you begin to observe your actions and thoughts, that is the beginning of the God-consciousness within you. It is a level of empowerment. God’s Holy Spirit will come and dwell within you. John 14:16-17 & 16:12-13 That is when the power of God brings transformation taking you to higher and higher levels of consciousness.

"The Spirit seeks and speaks all things...the deep things of God." 1Cor. 2:10

It is the coming of God’s kingdom.


Steve Hart

1 comment:

  1. I posted this on another Christian Website and I had this response. I have responded to their comments and questions and I thought you world enjoy reading this:



    Joyful Servant April 17, 2009


    I don't know if I agree or disagree with what you are saying but this is an issue that I have recently thought about fleetingly so am pleased to see you addressing it. I may go back to your earlier blogs at another time and look at what else you have to say and see how it adds to my understanding.

    Off the top of my head I must ask, "Why do we even need to use terms that bring fear ( as you put it). Terms like "God consciousness" . Another one I've heard lately is the "universal church".

    It strikes me that both of these terms bring confusion precisely because they also are used rather extensively in "religions" or "belief systems" that are not Christ centered as per the Judeo-Christian based faiths.

    I haven't thought deeply about these issues but what has occurred to me is that the term "God consciousness" is unnecessary in our christian vocabulary. Particularly, if it means that teachers now have to teach on what the "God consciousness" really is. It seems to take needless time and detracts from other useful teachings that people need more of like, love and faith and practical application of doctrines and principles for christ centered living.

    The Bible says that "no man comes to the Father, lest the Spirit draw Him" so the Holy Spirit will do the convicting and cause man to accept or reject the Father. At the point where we accept Christ into our hearts we become "new creations" in Christ. "If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature, old things are passed away, behold all things are become new". 2 Corinth. 5:17 We are actually part of Christ for God says " I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15: 5.

    Unless you are already in Christ, I don't think that you can be conscious of much of anything spiritually. If God and his disciples didn't use the term "God consciousness" why should we...isn't the word "knowing" enough?

    Likewise with the term "universal church". The Bible speaks of God giving some apostles, prophets,evangelists, teachers, etc. until we all come together in the unity of the faith. The Bible doesn't say until we all come to be the "universal church". Ephesians 4;11-13

    I'm sorry if my thoughts and ramblings are not fully formed...this is what i can come up with right now and would be interested in hearing what you have to say about them.

    Just one additional comment.

    As I stated above, my thoughts and ramblings are not fully formed on this subject. I am looking for the dialogue here by way of further comments from others and your knowledge and further comment to help me understand better and clarify my thoughts. God bless.


    April 17, 2009

    Dear Joyful Servant,

    First I want to commend you for asking these questions. It shows me that you desire to grow and your love for God is deep from within your soul.

    Let me start by saying, I have been a Christian for over 35 years, a student and a teacher of our lord Jesus Christ. One thing I have learned….mankind is motivated by either fear or love. The Holy Spirit has shown me that many Christians are still motivated by fear not by love. So as I respond to your questions please be aware from which is controlling your heart and mind.

    There are many words used by Christianity that are not in the Bible and there are many words that have not been translated properly from the Greek definition. For example the word, “Know” in the King James (which is my preference) is translation from more than one word and there is a different meaning for each one.

    Why am I using these new words? To help Christians break out of the box of Christian dogma and hear what the Holy Spirit is saying today.

    Another example is your word, "Universal." Why is that a new word in describing the Church?

    First that word is not in the Bible, Why? The people of that day did not have the consciousness to know what it meant. At that time they did not understand the church would grow beyond their country, their regions and the whole earth or even what the universe was. Today the words “Universal Church” means; anyone who confesses that Jesus Christ is lord, the collective consciousness of God, not just a local visible church group of people. It is not a word to fear.

    Christians are suffering because they are not growing spiritually. They are afraid of anything that is not traditional thinking, even in the New Testament Peter had trouble with the words and ideas that Paul was teaching. Later the Holy Spirit revealed to Peter that Paul was correct.

    My posting, “God-Consciousness” is all about spiritual growth. Christians are not growing spiritually because they are not open, they are not listening to the Holy Spirit. They have become as the like Amish people by believing only in the “old ways” of thinking NOT higher levels of consciousness.

    It is true that God does not change but we change and our thinking and our consciousness must change to fulfill our purposes here on earth. Every day the Holy Spirit is speaking new things. Read 1 Cor. 2:7-16.

    Do you know the difference between the “Logos” and “Rhema” of God? They are Greek words both translated in the Kings James as “Word.” If you don’t know the difference, please do your own research and understand the difference. It is very important to your spiritual growth.

    Please get back with me and tell my why you think the understanding of these two words are so important.


    Steve Hart

    ReplyDelete