Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Did Jesus Say…Obey My Commandments?

In the New International Version the verse John 14:15 reads, “If you love me, you will obey what I command.”

In the King James Bible that verse reads, “If you love me, keep my commandments.”

In the original Greek word “keep” (tereo) means “to guard, fulfill, hold fast, preserve.” This is the same word used in 1 Tim 5:22 “keep yourself pure.” It does not mean obey. It is my opinion that the NIV did not make a proper interpretation.

The word “keep” is an expression of Love. You preserve and fulfill His commandment because you love God. God is looking for people who love Him not someone who lives by the law…thinking that by obeying God we can please Him.

Another Greek word for “obey” is “hupakouo” which means to hear under and the has the basic meaning of listening to or placing oneself under what is heard and therefore submitting to what is heard. It implies the idea of voluntary submission.

Hebrews 5:9 reads, “and being made perfect he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.”

This is the same Greek word “hupakouo” is used for “hearken” in Acts12:13 “As Peter knocked at the door of the gate, a damsel came to hearken, named Rhoda.” meaning one who hearkens or answers a knock and opens the door.

You submit to the lordship of Jesus because you love Him. You listen and open your heart to hear his words because you love Him. I make my choice NOT because I must obey Him for fear that I will be punished, rather I submit my will to Him because I know he loves me.

Jesus never used the words “Obey God.” He did use parables to communicate a message which only our ego would understand. Then He sent the Holy Spirit to reveal to us the truth and His true nature.

Even His own disciples did not understand his message of love until after his resurrection He sent the Holy Spirit which gave them the power of God to love one another as He loved them. It is the love of God that motivates me to change not my obedience.

Jesus was tested by the religious leaders when they asked, “Which is the great commandment in the law?” Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”

His message was Love the most important commandment….NOT obeying the law or the prophets.

We keep his commandments because we love God therefore we align ourselves with God and his nature. The commandments are a way of living....motivated by love. His commandments are not a "law" to be obeyed if they were that would be saying the sinner must love God against his will.

Know the love of God. Learn to love yourself and others.

Steve Hart
Spiritual Teacher/Life Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment