Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Parable of the talents (Up-Dated Version, paraphrased)

Jesus told a parable about a rich man who was going to make trip to a far away country. Before he left he put his servants in charge of his goods.

To Chuck he gave one talent. To Bill he gave two talents. To Robert he gave five talents. Jesus forgot to mention Henry to whom the master gave ten talents.

Immediately the rich man took off on his long trip.

All of the servants wisely used their talents to make investments to make a profit. Except for Chuck, he took his one talent and hid it under the ground so it would be safe for the master’s return.

A long time later the master returned and immediately reckoned with his servants.

Bill quickly showed the master while he was gone he had increased his two talents for he now had four. Robert also was happy to inform the master that he too had increased his five talents for he now had ten. The master was pleased and he praised them saying. “You have done well. You have been good and faithful servants. I will make you rulers over many things. Enter into the joy of the lord!”

Next Chuck with a smile on his face held up his one talent and said look….. I know you are a hard businessman therefore when you gave me only one talent I was afraid to invest it so I hid it under the ground to keep it safe until you returned.” The master said…..”You did what?”

“You wicked and slothful servant (Meaning one who hesitates to avoid pain or sorrow)
The word "Wicked" in the Greek is “Poneros”; meaning hurtful, anguish, worthless, diseased, degeneracy. Mark 7:20-23 Matt 25:26

If you knew I was a hard businessman then the least you could have done was put your talent in the bank so it could have drawn interest.”

The master then took the one talent from Chuck and gave it to Robert, saying, “For everyone that has something will be given more…but he who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away from him!”

Then Henry stood quietly with his head bowed and the master said, “Henry I gave you ten talents….now what do you have?”

Henry said, “I invested my money in real estate, I bought several pieces of property and I rented them at a fair price knowing I could make a profit but hard times fell upon us, my renters lost their jobs, they could not pay their rent. I did my best to work with them but I could not keep up the payments and I lost my investment in bankruptcy. Now I have nothing.”

And the master said, “That is not true. You may have lost your investment. But you can not say you have nothing. Instead you have the respect, love and appreciation of those families to whom you rented. And that is something money can not buy therefore you too will enter into the joy of the lord with me and all who share the kingdom of God.”

What have you done with your talents?

I know talents in this parable is money but the same applies with your God given gifts and talents.

Do you know what your gifts and talent are? Or have you keep them hidden for fear that someone would not accept what you have to share?

Your Spiritual community needs for you to open up and share your talents.

Learn how to exercise your gifts. Serve one another by using your gifts and God will bless you with great Joy!

Steve Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment