Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Spiritual Labels

So what do you call yourself?

Few people really like labeling themselves….because labels don’t always fit or not everyone agrees what the label means.

For example I would and have called myself a “Christian” but that label in my opinion...through the years...no longer fits as well. I have learned to let go of my Christian dogma and I find more and more others are doing the same. So can I call myself a Christian? What do I call myself? What fits?

Some would say “Why do you have to label yourself?” Good question!

I have found myself wanting to define my belief system so I can clearly communicate with you what I believe and what I teach. I am a teacher and it is hard to describe what you teach without first giving yourself a label. People want to know where you are coming from.

So I am searching for a label that best describes who I am.

I know I could call myself a “Spiritual Being” “Child of God” a “Member of the Kingdom of God” but these labels are too broad.

I decided to narrow down my labels by eliminating the ones I knew would NOT fit.
Not to exclude neither myself nor my acceptance of others but to get clear which one fits me the best. I can NOT say I am a Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Pagan, Jew or Taoist even though I may share with them some spiritual truths. But I quickly eliminated them from my list.

But what about Christian Mystic, New Thought Thinker, a New-Ager, a Spiritualist or a Meta-Physician? Then there other other labels like Light-Worker or Way Shower.

What about you? What would you call yourself? If you had to get in line behind a label… what labels best describe who you are and what you believe?

So I made a video to tell you which spiritual label I have chosen.

Steve Hart


No comments:

Post a Comment