Thursday, February 11, 2010

Meditation

Do you meditate and pray every day? Do you know how? What are the benefits of prayer and meditation?

For many years I did not understand how or why it was so important to learn how to pray and meditate everyday. I don’t remember anyone teaching me how to meditate. Most Christians do not know how to spend time in prayer and meditation.

I remember hearing the word meditation used in the book of Psalms but it was a mystery to me for many years. It was not until I let go my dogma that I begin to open myself up to idea. If I had learned how to meditate years ago I am sure I would have saved myself from a lot of stress, heart ache, frustration, and disharmony.

The Hebrew words for “Meditate” used in Psalms means to “murmur” as you might ponder your thoughts as you speak to yourself.

I think it is interesting the medical field uses the word “murmur” to describe an unusual sound emanating from the heart….why, because there lies a secret to meditation.

The secret of meditation is…you must get quite enough to hear what your heart is saying...that means learning how to let go of the all the noise within your head. Releasing all thoughts...notice I did not say stop thinking…why? Have you ever tried to do that? Every time you try to stop your thoughts you only create more thoughts. Instead you learn how to let go of your thinking as you begin to relax and experience the moments between the thoughts. That is when your heart will begin to speak to you.

Breathing

Here is a technique I have found that helps me to relax and get quite...the answer is your breathing!

As you set aside your time for meditation and prayer...do it when and where you will not be disturb by anything around you. Find a quite comfortable place to meditate.

As you begin to relax…focus upon your breathing as you breathe normally at a comfortable pattern...stay focused upon your breathing until your mind begins to quite down. Enjoy this quite time. The longer you do this…in time you will sense a connection to your heart, you inner being, your spiritual being and your connection to God.

Listen to what your heart is saying to you...at the same time the Spirit of God will speak and minister to you….surrender to at least five minutes and later on increase that amount of time everyday until you reach a comfortable time for you.

After you have given yourself to this time you will find it easy to pray your prayer of thanks giving…as you acknowledge your connection with God. Once you have reached that personal connection with God...that is when you make your request and affirmations for what you want. I will not go into detail about how to pray but...end all your request with the words of faith….what I mean by that is...make a statement which affirms your request as though it has already been answered...therefore give thanks.

You might want to write down anything the Spirit has spoken to you during your meditation so you will remember it. If you do this I think you will find great joy, peace and harmony through out the rest of the day.

In Psalms 49:3 it says, “My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.”


Steve Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment